Saturday, January 05, 2008

Welcome to 2008

Greetings--

Well, I've been a bit slow this past year in writing to this blog. I guess that traveling around the US and Canada presenting workshops on library service to older adults, the baby boomers, "senior spaces," and social networking and older adults--did keep me quite busy.

2007 was a banner year, I feel in Library Services to Older Adults.

The "senior spaces" project at the Old Bridge Public Library has really been the focus of much of my research, in-practice, and workshops for the year. I am sure that many of you have already read the www.seniorspaces.blogspot.com and www.infolink.org/seniorspaces website. Begin to look at the library's web page at www.oldbridgelibrary.org under "senior spaces" for additional material this Spring.

The "senior spaces" project is more than just tables and chairs--it is a shift in philosophy in public library services for older adults. Ten years ago very few libraries had "teen spaces" now that seems the norm. So, too, in ten years will "senior spaces." By then I'll be 66 and ready to use one!

If I just let "senior spaces" be the way that it is now I would feel that I have accomplished much. But there is so much more to do! I am receiving 3-5 e-mails a week from around the world looking for more information about the project. After "preaching" for over 25 years on library services to older adults--there is now a greater interest than ever before. Yes, our "senior spaces" project is interesting and innovative-- it has captivated people's imagination for the future!

For the last several months, I had the idea of introducing the Wii to our seniors. We have done training sessions in both November and December on the Wii. Our prospects are exciting as we begin next month to have the Wii available for open play on Thursdays at the "Senter for Creative Learning and Technology" and also each week before our Senior Fridays programs. What's next? The "Center" will open in February and we will be looking at training our seniors to use Second Life later this Spring.

So, what's in store for me?

I do know that 2008 will be more about writing and sharing and spreading the word about service to older adults than I think I have ever done before. As always, I invite you to join me on that journey as we move forward.

Look for me here, on the other blogs and web pages, and maybe perhaps at a conference near you.

I promise to write more!

Contact me at: kleiman@aol.com or akleiman@oldbridgelibrary.org.

--Allan

No comments: